Sunday, June 29, 2008

Pacquiao Wins!

The best pound-for-pound fighter has won again!

Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao dethroned David Diaz via 9th round KO in their WBC Lightweight title fight. This would be Pacquiao's fourth weight division world title and that makes him the first asian to do so. I'm sure all Pacquiao's fans are happy and rejoicing for the victory of the great boxer. Pacquiao had again a display of a brilliant fight with quickness and power. The Pacman was much quicker and had the power as he outpunched and outboxed the naturally bigger David Diaz. The victory of Manny is also a victory for the entire Philippines.

Yesterday, me and my girlfriend agreed to buy a new TV for the display of the old one that we are using isn't already clear. So we went to the appliance department store of a mall near us and we did bought a slim-flat LCD-designed television. We had set it up last night and just by using antenna we had a clear display of the two local channels; GMA and ABS-CBN. "Wow, we can watch the boxing tommorow clearly!"

This morning we were waiting for GMA's feed of the Lethal Combination boxing event in Las Vegas hoping that it would start before I will go to work. To my dismay, as usual, this would be again a very delayed telecast of the event. I departed to work without even having a glance on any of the undercard fights. Arrgghh!

As I step out of the building I noticed the security guard busy listening to his transistor radio. I then knew from him that the broadcast is live, real time, about what's going on in Mandalay Bay. It was already Humberto Soto and Francisco Lorenzo squaring-off for the interim version of Manny Pacquiao's WBC 130lb belt. Oh it was a good thing I brought my cellphone capable of FM radio transmission. "I will just listen to the fight when I'm in the office," i said to myself as I was on the way.

I arrived here in the office and setup my computer and afterwards opened the radio. Soto was disqualified?! Another dirty fight! I asked my office mate to turn on the Bravia (Cool!) and change the channel to Solar Sports. The feed is just about to start?! On the radio they're already preparing for the main event. Whatta!

So me and my colleagues decided to listen to the radio instead, back to basics mehn! Pacquiao was leading the scorecards until round 9 came. Pacquiao floored Diaz! Pacquiao floored Diaz! It's all over! Everybody's jumping and shouting here in the office. The Pacman did it again! Well I can say that the radio is still usefull.

Grab a beer and shout, "Mabuhay si Pacquiao!"

No comments: